SIM cards are essential for a mobile device to connect to the respective network for basic phone functionality of calling, texting, mobile internet, etc. SIM cards evolved with time from credit-card-sized to nano SIMs used in most smartphones today. However, with constantly-evolving digital trends and technology, a digital version of the SIM card came into existence, known as the eSIM. Read on to better understand what an eSIM card is and how it works.
What is an eSIM:
An eSIM card is a SIM card embedded in a mobile device and does not require physical slotting in. The eSIM, also known as virtual SIM, is a pre-installed chip connected (literally soldered) to a smartphone's motherboard. Although the eSIM works the same way a traditional SIM would, you do not require a physical card to use an eSIM. It connects devices to the respective network operator offering eSIM services.
How eSIM works:
The programmable eSIM identifies a device virtually and provides a network connection. It functions with the help of a microchip integrated into an eSIM-enabled device and connects to the network just like any physical SIM card. The eSIM technology adds flexibility, making it convenient to use multiple phone plans to suit varied user needs. With an eSIM, you can manage your phone plans easily, add a new number remotely, and even travel internationally without any hassle of buying a new physical SIM card.
Here is how to activate your eSIM with Vi:
All Vi postpaid users can request an eSIM and configure it with an eSIM-supported device.
- Send an SMS eSIM< space >registered email id to 199
- Reply to the confirmation SMS with "ESIMY" to confirm your eSIM request
- Provide consent over the call and receive the QR code on your registered email id
- Navigate to "Network & Internet" from the device settings
- Click on "Mobile Network" and "Download a SIM instead"
- Click on "Next" and scan the QR code sent via email
- Follow the prompts and complete the eSIM activation
- The eSIM will get activated within a few hours
Get your Vi eSIM today and have an enjoyable experience.